I’ll be honest here. I have no idea where this weekly article is going to go. There could eventually be structure around my random musings, but then again, there might not. I had thought about putting this article together in the summer and putting one out each week, but life got in the way. Life is still in the way, but I like to write, and I hope you like my warped sense of thought. This isn’t always going to be fantasy-football focused. It’s just a brain dump of thoughts about the NFL.
So, here it goes.
- Carson Wentz is bad. Something happened at some point. Maybe it was when he tore his ACL vs. the Rams a few years back and then had to watch Foles win the Super Bowl in his place? Either way, he’s making bad decisions, bad throws on a bad team. Eagles fans may point to injuries, and yes, they have had a TON of injuries. But the guys are starting to come back, and his decision-making and lack of accuracy aren’t because of the players, or lack of, around him. He’s just bad. At some point, Jalen Hurts has to be given a shot. This team still has a shot to HOST A PLAYOFF GAME.
- The Chiefs defense is a problem. From a fantasy perspective, if you own any Chief offensive player, you love the fact that the Chiefs defense isn’t that good. It means that Mahomes and Co. will have ample chances to score and keep up with the lack of defense. From a football perspective, the Chiefs may have issues if they run into an offense that can hang with them (Pittsburgh, Tennessee come to mind).
- Unfortunately, Joe Burrow tore his ACL. It’s also unfortunate that teams with young franchise QBs picked #1 overall continue to ignore that if you don’t protect that #1 overall investment, he’s going to get hurt. See David Carr. See Matthew Stafford. See Andrew Luck. Draft a QB #1 overall, but also build that team from the inside out. OL should be the focus of the Bengals for the next few drafts. “Should” is the keyword there.
- Of all of the NFL players where it would be fun to slap a player with no repercussions, Phil Rivers is #1 on my list.
- It’s Thanksgiving on Thursday. And the NFC East leaders have 3 wins each.
- The entire NFC East has 12 wins. The Steelers have 10 alone.
- The good thing about the Ravens being on the outside looking in on the AFC playoff race is that you can’t lose a playoff game for Lamar Jackson if you don’t play in one.
- Can we please fire the Seahawks neon green uniforms into the sun?
- It’s a shame that someone as good as Nuk Hopkins has been in 2 of the worst uniform sets in NFL history. Go ahead and fire those all-black uniforms that the Cards have into the sun as well for good measure.
- It has to be depressing for many NFL players that someone mediocre NBA player Jerami Grant signed a 3-year contract for $60M.
- I love at the end of a game, a game in which players spend 3 hours hitting, blocking, tackling each other within inches of each other, players have to put on masks to see the opposing teams, or they will be fined.
- I am sure that he’s thrown this way his entire career, but Cam Newton’s throwing motion looks like it hurts to throw a ball.
- Tony Pollard is better than Zeke Elliott.
- There will be some lucky NFC team that will get to travel to the NFC East “champion” to play in the Wild Card weekend. Conversely, some unlucky NFC team (or 2) will get the non-NFC West championship during Wild Card weekend.
- Without George Kittle playing right now, Travis Kelce is light years ahead of the 2nd best TE in the league. And I don’t even know who that is.
- It’s a shame that Saquon Barkley got hurt because the Giants are playing well and probably would be the best team in that division right now.
- I am still trying to figure out how Ole Miss lost any games when they had DK Metcalf and AJ Green at Wideout a few years back.
- The Saints are playing defense like a team that can win the Super Bowl.
- I miss Tuesday Night Football.
- Here is a thought that I will leave you with: Is Matt Ryan a Hall of Famer?
Feel free to reach out to me via Twitter @MarkSDeCicco